In our house, pasta is served often. There are a few reasons for that. One is that it tastes great. The other is that it is a quick meal for busy evenings. A third (and most important) reason is that we have a seventeen-year-old boy in the house. He can eat non-stop, and he has a few standard choices when asked what he wants for dinner. He usually chooses a "big juicy cheeseburger", a "nice salad" or a "big bowl of pasta". Now his appetite is much bigger than the rest of ours, and we are not as fortunate to have the metabolism that he does. He can eat and eat and not worry about gaining weight.
Looking for more easy weeknight pasta recipes like this?
- Try our 15 Minute Tomato Sauce over pasta.
- Whip up some Lemony Shrimp Pasta in just 30 minutes!
- Add Quick & Easy Homemade Meatballs to this dish, or serve them on the side for more protein.
This recipe for Pappardelle with Blistered Tomatoes is one that can please us all. It is perfect for the rest of us because it is flavorful, lighter and looks beautiful on the plate. It does not feel as heavy as the standard pasta with sauce, but it satisfies my seventeen-year-old's appetite just the same. We also chose this because the summer garden is on its last legs, yet it is still producing the vegetables used in this dish. The sweetness of the tomatoes comes alive when you put heat to them; the tenderness of the peppers is the perfect amount of heat, and the fragrance of the basil pulls it all together.
Since making this pasta dish (I have made it multiple times), it has become quite a hit in our house and we hope it will be in yours. This would also be fantastic with some sautéed shrimp or grilled chicken. Serve with a simple side salad and a homemade Blueberry Vinaigrette. Bon Apétit!Print
- 1 lb pappardelle pasta
- 20-25 cherry tomatoes
- 4-5 banana peppers (we used half mild and half hot)
- ½ C olive oil
- 4 tbsp butter
- 3 cloves garlic
- ½ C fresh grated romano cheese
- 1 tbsp black pepper corns
- 10-12 basil leaves
- Boil pasta according to directions on package
- In a large sauté pan, add half the olive oil and garlic cloves over medium heat.
- Add tomatoes (cut in half) along with banana peppers sliced into ⅛ inch rings.
- Cook until pasta is done. When draining pasta, reserve ½ C of the pasta water for later.
- Add pasta directly to pan and toss into tomatoes and peppers.
- Add butter, pasta water and cracked pepper corns and cook over medium heat for about 5 minutes tossing frequently.
- Remove from heat and toss in cheese and torn basil leaves.
- Drizzle remaining olive oil and serve.
Looking to add protein? Try adding our Quick & Easy Homemade Meatballs or grilled chicken or shrimp for a more hearty meal.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Category: Entrée
- Cuisine: Italian-American
Keywords: pasta, pappardelle, easy, dinner, weeknight, tomatoes, tomato, light