Mediterranean Radicchio Salad is a crisp and colorful dish, designed to help keep those New Year’s resolutions.
The holidays are over, winter is in full force, and we have over-indulged a little bit. Many of us have put on a few extra pounds; others have stayed committed to a healthy lifestyle. Whichever category you find yourself in, this is the ideal recipe for a commitment to healthy living. Not only is it colorful, but it is filled with fresh, nourishing ingredients that compliment each other perfectly.
This recipe for Mediterranean Radicchio Salad came to me after countless trips down the produce aisle in recent weeks. In the dead of winter, the beautiful purple radicchio kept drawing my attention, screaming to be the focus of a salad. Radicchio by itself tends to be quite bitter, so I paired it with seasonal sweet clementines, salty black olives, and a honey citrus vinaigrette with the sharp bite of brown mustard. Jackie generally loves mandarin oranges in her salad, so clementines seemed like a natural fit. I chose to assemble this dish leaving the leaves whole for a more elegant presentation.
The unique flavor combination sets this salad apart from the usual mixed green lunch option. It is a good way to stay on track, yet still feel satisfied. As I write this post, I can’t stop admiring just how beautifully these pictures came out. I am always amazed at how well Jackie captures the natural beauty of food. Her photos are reason enough to try this recipe… and keep those New Year’s resolutions!
A crisp and colorful salad that is perfect for winter months when the holidays are over and we are trying to eat more healthy.
- 1 head of radicchio lettuce
- 2 clementines
- 1/4 cup radishes sliced thin
- 1/2 cup black olives (broken)
- 1 green onion
- 1 Tablespoon fresh cilantro
- For the dressing:
- 2 ounces fresh lemon juice
- 2 ounces fresh clementine juice
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon hard grain mustard (dijon will work also)
- 1 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- Assemble the salad by washing leaves of radicchio and fanning them out on a plate.
- Peel 1 clementine, cut sections out and place on top of salad.
- Sprinkle with olives, radishes, green onions (to taste) and cilantro.
- Make dressing by combining all ingredients except olive oil in a mixing bowl.
- Drizzle olive oil into dressing slowly while whisking until combined.
- Salt to taste and drizzle dressing over salad and enjoy.