Shaved Brussels Sprouts Salad with Citrus Vinaigrette is a winter salad with that is far from boring.Jackie and I are big fans of Brussels Sprouts, the very same ones that we couldn’t force ourselves to eat as children in Ohio. But then again, how many kids growing up in the 70’s & 80’s would eat this vegetable? Brussels Sprouts were a dirty word back then, but now it’s a whole different world. My kids love them; they are easily one of our family’s favorites.
Brussels Sprouts are on every restaurant menu: roasted alone or combined with sweet and savory toppings. I believe what makes this vegetable contemporary and popular is that they are being prepared in many new ways (not just boiling the crap out of them until they turn to mush like our parents did). This Shaved Brussels Sprouts Salad is an example of one modern way to serve an old familiar vegetable.This time of year is the perfect time for a Shaved Brussels Sprouts Salad. We eat them so often as a side dish, but we forget that the make a great, crunchy and flavorful salad as well. It is difficult to find fresh, local greens at the market, so using more hearty types of root vegetables, broccoli and cauliflower becomes a better option. We like this crisp, seasonal salad as a side dish to pizza while watching sports.
This salad is right on point, because the heartiness of the sprouts holds in the fresh, seasonal citrus vinaigrette beautifully. The sweet dressing perfectly balances the bitter crunch of the sprout. We also like the sweet texture of the pomegranate and nuts. Jackie was the true inspiration for this Shaved Brussels Sprouts Salad, as she is always challenging me to come up with new salad flavors. This one did not disappoint. We actually found ourselves eating more salad than pizza during this meal; when does that ever happen? Enjoy!!
A hearty green winter salad combining fresh shaved Brussels Sprouts with a heavenly homemade vinaigrette. This salad belongs on a holiday table.
- 4 cups shaved Brussels Spouts (we used whole ones and just sliced thin with a knife)
- 1 small apple, cored and sliced thin
- 1/4 C pomegranate seeds
- 1/2 C chopped pecans
- Fresh parmesan cheese (to garnish and top salad).
- 1/2 C olive oil
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 orange
- 1 lemon
- 1 lime
- 1 tsp sugar
- Shave sprouts and place in a large mixing bowl
- To make dressing: combine juice of lemon, lime and orange to make 1/2 C and place in a small to medium mixing bowl.
- Chop garlic clove and add to juice along with sugar, salt and pepper to taste. While whisking juice, slowly drizzle olive oil into juice and combine.
- Add half of dressing to sprouts and toss, allow to set for 3-4 minutes.
- Add apples, pecans and pomegranate seeds and toss to combine.
- Serve on large serving platter and top with shaved parmesan cheese and extra dressing if desired,
Keywords: brussels sprouts, greens, salad, apple, pomegranate, shaved, vegetarian, side dish, holiday, winter