You have never tasted a BLT like this. Keith’s ingenious Sweet Cajun Candied Bacon recipe had us buzzing for days. There was something magical about this crispy bacon packed with a flavor punch; we had to find other uses for it. First off: a “superman style” BLT. For our version of this classic sandwich, Keith featured our candied bacon, then took it a step further by topping it with a gorgeous Sriracha cream cheese spread. The result was a sandwich to die for.
It was a Sunday afternoon. Keith had created his candied bacon the day before, and we were totally smitten. We had to make a sandwich with this stuff. As with most classic dishes, the quality of the ingredients is absolutely key. We picked up a beautiful, freshly baked sourdough boule from our local bakery, and Keith put some thick slices on the grill to toast the bread. He then added mesculin, juicy vine-ripened tomatoes, and a cream cheese spread flavored with Sriracha. We sat on the back patio, cracked open two cold beers to accompany our creation, and we were in heaven.
Sometimes the simplest things in life are the best. This BLT is proof of that. I can’t think of a better summer lunch than Keith’s candied bacon gem of a sandwich. The iced cold beer and the company wasn’t so bad either.
- 1 pound thick sliced bacon
- 1 Cup Brown sugar
- ¼ Cup Cajun Spice
- ¼ Cup chopped pecans
- 2 large vine-ripened tomatoes
- 2 ounces spring mix lettuce (mesculin)
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 TBSP Sriracha
- 1 TBSP fresh lemon juice
- ¼ C finely chopped pecans
- I Sour Dough Boule
- In a bowl, mix brown sugar and cajun spice.
- Coat each bacon slice with mixture pressing to coat bacon thoroughly.
- Place bacon on a cookie cooling rack and sprinkle with chopped pecans.
- Bake in 375 degree oven for 15-20 minutes until bacon is desired doneness.
- To assemble the Sriracha spread:
- Mix softened cream cheese with Sriracha sauce, lemon juice and finely chopped pecans until well combined.
- To assemble sandwich.
- Slice bread ½ thick and place on grill or toast
- Spread a generous portion of Sriracha spread on bread. Add 4 slices of bacon and top with Spring mix and sliced tomatoes.
- Be careful to have one for your company or else they will want to take yours.