Not Your Average Buffalo Chicken Sandwich has all the fixin’s for a game day feast.
I discovered the Buffalo chicken sandwich many years ago and have always loved it. However it was becoming boring. Once when I was on my way to New York City to see Jackie, I stopped at a restaurant and ordered a Buffalo chicken sandwich. It was quite tasty, but still not what I would consider an amazing sandwich. When I got to New York, I explained to Jackie how tasty the sandwich was and how I needed to eat it again. It was served on a boring hamburger roll with plain cream cheese on it. It was also served with plain cucumber slices. I just knew that I could make it even better.While walking the streets of New York, we stumbled upon the famous Sullivan Street Bakery. We had to stop in. We were immediately captivated by the intoxicating smell of fresh-baked bread. The ciabatta bread was sitting on the rack and looked delicious, so Jackie and I looked at each other and decided that it would be the perfect bread to use for our sandwich. We bought two and went home and to create our sandwich.
When you first look at this recipe, it may appear to be difficult. However, it is a very simple sandwich to make. Even if your skill level is not very high, this will make you look like a culinary expert. Be sure to invite friends over for this one. We like to pair our Buffalo chicken sandwich with an amber beer such as Vienna Lager from Trader Joe’s.
Meet your new favorite sandwich. Not Your Average Buffalo Chicken Sandwich combines delicious buffalo flavor with herbed cream cheese for a heavenly bite.
For the chicken breast:
- 4 6-8 oz. boneless chicken breasts
- 1/4 C flour
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- salt and pepper
- vegetable oil
- 1/4 C Hot Pepper Sauce
- 1/2 C butter, softened
For the cream cheese mixture:
- 8 oz package of cream cheese (softened )
- 1 clove garlic chopped
- 1 TBSP. chopped thyme (fresh)
- 1 TBSP chopped parsley (fresh)
- For the cucumbers:
- 1 cucumber
- 1 C water
- 1/2 C sugar
- 1/2 C cider vinegar
- 4 ciabatta rolls
- In a small bowl crack the two eggs and mix with 1 TBSP water.
- On a small plate place the flour and mix with the garlic powder and salt and pepper.
- On medium heat place a sauté pan and coat the bottom of the pan with cooking spray.
- Take the chicken breast and place in the flour mixture until evenly coated, shake off excess.
- Transfer to the egg and then back into the flour to evenly coat and place into pan.
- Repeat with all the chicken breasts and cook on both sides until slightly browned.
- Transfer to a baking sheet and place in a 350 degree oven for 15 mins.
- While the chicken is in the oven start the cucumbers by slicing them into 1/8 in slices and transfer to a deep large bowl.
- In a small sauce pan heat the water and sugar to a boiling and then turn off heat.
- Pour sugar water over the cucumbers and add the cider vinegar and let sit aside.
- Take the cream cheese and remaining herbs in a small bowl and blend until mixed.
- When the chicken is done it is time to assemble the sandwich.
- Slice the rolls in half and spray with cooking spray or brush with oil and brown slightly in sauté pan.
- Spread the cream cheese mixture onto the bottom of the bun.
- Place a layer of the cucumber slices on top of the cream cheese mixture.
- Dip the chicken breasts into the mixture of softened butter and hot sauce and place on top of the cucumbers and place top of bun on top of chicken.
- Cut sandwich in half and serve.
Keywords: chicken, chicken sandwich, breaded chicken, Buffalo chicken, buffalo, sauce, wings, cream cheese, bar food, tailgaiting, game day, hot sauce