Our little red cocktail, made with fresh raspberries, vodka, and rosemary tastes even better than it looks. I know that is hard to believe because these photographs are particularly amazing. Jackie is really finding her way around the camera, bringing great life to this drink we created: our Red Russian.
Rosemary simple syrup is something I have been seeing around a lot. I have been toying with ideas as to how we could integrate it into some recipes. We happened upon some beautiful, plump raspberries at the market the other day, and a light bulb went off in my head. The ingredients for a Red Russian Cocktail were coming together.
I love the idea of serving this cocktail in a martini-type glass. I coated the rim with a mixture of sugar, salt, and a bit of finely chopped rosemary for color. A sprig of fresh rosemary finished the presentation beautifully. Just as we finished the pictures for this, we heard a knock at the door. We opened it to find our neighbors, who immediately eyed the colorful drinks with curiosity. Thinking quickly, we handed them the drinks and I ran to the kitchen to make two more for Jackie and me. Now Jackie is biased; she likes practically everything I put in front of her. So I was happy to get the “thumbs up” from our friends for this newest concoction. Moral of the story: make a pitcher.
- 1 pint fresh raspberries
- ¾ C water, divided
- ½ C sugar
- 3 sprigs rosemary
- 4 oz Vodka
- 4 oz club soda (or raspberry sparkling water)
- ¼ C coarse salt
- To make rosemary infused simple syrup:
- In a small sauce pan combine ¼ C water and ¼ C sugar and heat over medium heat until sugar is dissolved.
- Remove from heat and drop 1 rosemary sprig into solution for 2 minutes.
- Remove rosemary and refrigerate until cool.
- To make raspberry juice:
- In a small sauce pan, combine 1 pint fresh raspberries, ¼ sugar and ½ C water and cook over low heat and stir to break down berries for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and strain mixture thru fine mesh strainer to remove seeds. (discard seeds)
- Refrigerate to cool mixture.
- To assemble drinks:
- In a shaker add vodka, 4 oz simple syrup, 4 ounces raspberry mixture, and 1 C ice.
- Shake until well combined and mixture is cold.
- Strain into 2 glasses with a rim mixed with sugar and salt.
- Add 2 oz club soda to each drink and garnish with a sprig of rosemary
- Simple syrup and raspberry mixture can be stored in refrigerator for up to a week.