Banh Mi Catfish Tacos are a delicious summertime recipe, inspired by the flavors of our favorite sandwich.Summer is the perfect time for a taco party, and we’ve got a new and unique taco recipe that is quickly becoming a family favorite. Borrowing from some of our beloved Bahn Mi sandwich flavors, our latest creation relies heavily on Vietnamese spices and pickled veggies.The popularity of the Bahn Mi sandwich is no surprise to us. From the moment we first stepped foot into our favorite New York Bahn Mi shop, Num Pang, we were hooked. Keith has been creating recipes referencing these flavor combinations almost since the blog first began, and I never tire of them. When he came to me with the idea of Banh Mi Catfish Tacos, I was over the moon with excitement.His idea came to life quite easily, and we think these tacos make for a fantastic summer feast. Keith pickled fresh carrots and watermelon radishes that we found at the farmers’ market, paired them with some fresh grilled catfish, added his heavenly sauce, and sandwiched it all in a corn tortilla. I can’t think of a better bite on a hot day (with a cold beer of course).
Banh Mi Catfish Tacos
A combination of sweet and acidic toppings on a flavorful bed of light and flaky catfish.
- Total Time: 45 mins
- Yield: 8 tacos 1x
- 2 lb fresh skinned catfish filets
- 2 carrots, peeled and shredded
- 1 watermelon radish
- ½ C rice vinegar
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- ¼ C water
- 1 bunch cilantro
- 8 corn tortilla shells
- ½ C mayo
- ¼ C chili sauce
- 2 lemons
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp chipotle powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- In a medium bowl, combine the rice vinegar and sugar along with water. Mix until sugar is dissolved.
- Add carrots and allow to set for an hour (or up to 2 days).
- To prepare fish: heat a large skillet over medium high heat and mix the onion powder, garlic powder and chipotle powder and sprinkle over both sides of catfish.
- Place fish in skillet and cook for 3-4 minutes. Then turn and cook for another 3-4 minutes until done.
- Place corn tortillas over medium high burner for 30 seconds to warm one at a time. being careful not to burn.
- Slice radishes thinly, then julienne and add to carrot mixture for 5 minutes.
- To make sauce: combine the chili sauce, the mayo and juice of 1 lime.
- To assemble taco: slice catfish into ½ inch slices and add to bottom of taco shell. Drain the carrot and radish mixture and top catfish along with a few pieces of cilantro. Drizzle sauce over top and serve with a lime wedge for squeezing right before eating.
- Serve with your favorite chips and salsa
- We also like black beans on re-fried beans as well... add at your discretion.
- Prep Time: 30 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Category: Entree
- Cuisine: Vietnamese
Leave a Reply