I introduced Keith to the wonders of a rice cooker. It seriously changed my life. I have been using one for years now, and I don’t think I could ever go back. There is something quite splendid about putting rice into that perfect little machine, covering it with water, pushing the “cook ” button down and walking away. It frees you up to do everything else to prepare your meal. Oh, and once you figure out the perfect rice to water ratio, you get perfectly cooked rice every time. Genius. I should mention that we purchased ours at a flea market in Harrisburg for $5 brand new. It was fate.So here I was, making plain brown rice with every meal until I met Keith. He introduced me to this preparation of cilantro lime rice that he developed after making many trips to Chipotle and coveting the taste of their special rice. We like to make ours with brown rice, as we are always looking for ways to make yummy food just a bit healthier.It’s quite simple really. Chop up the cilantro, add it to the rice, squeeze the fresh lime juice into the mixture, and season. Serve warm.
A healthy yet flavorful side dish inspired by Chipotle
- 2 cups brown rice
- 4 cups water
- 1 lime
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 2 tbsp fresh chopped cilantro
- Rinse brown rice under warm water thoroughly and place in rice cooker. Add water to cover.
- Cover and set cooker to cook (or any method to cook rice will work).
- When rice is done transfer to mixing bowl and add juice of one lime. **hint: use a lime at room temperature and roll it on a cutting board pressing lightly before cutting it in half. This will give more juice for the rice
- Add chopped cilantro and kosher salt and mix well
- serve warm