Cilantro Lime Rice is a "spiced up" alternative to basic rice.I introduced Keith to the wonders of a rice cooker. It seriously changed my life. I have been using one for years now, and I don't think I could ever go back. There is something quite splendid about putting rice into that perfect little machine, covering it with water, pushing the "cook " button down and walking away. It frees you up to do everything else to prepare your meal. Oh, and once you figure out the perfect rice to water ratio, you get perfectly cooked rice every time. Genius. I should mention that we purchased ours at a flea market in Harrisburg for $5 brand new. It was fate.
So here I was, making plain rice with every meal until I met Keith. He introduced me to this preparation of cilantro lime rice that he developed after making many trips to Chipotle and coveting the taste of their special rice. This side dish goes perfectly with just about anything. We like it with Spicy Korean Chicken Tacos or Smoky Black Bean Quesadillas.Make up some Pink Señoritas or a few Iceberg Margaritas, and prepare this delicious rice. It's quite simple really. Chop up the cilantro, add it to the rice, squeeze the fresh lime juice into the mixture, and season. Serve warm.
Say goodbye to boring side dishes forever! Cilantro Lime Rice, inspired by the famous version at Chipotle, will add a kick to any meal.
- 2 cups brown or white rice
- 4 cups water
- 1 lime
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 2 tbsp fresh chopped cilantro
- Rinse rice under warm water thoroughly and place in rice cooker. Add water to cover.
- Cover and set cooker to cook (or any method to cook rice will work).
- When rice is done transfer to mixing bowl and add juice of one lime. **hint: use a lime at room temperature and roll it on a cutting board pressing lightly before cutting it in half. This will give more juice for the rice
- Add chopped cilantro and kosher salt and mix well
- serve warm
Keywords: rice, Chipotle, spice, side dish, Mexican, cilantro, vegetarian, lime, basic