Iceberg Margarita: yes it's true, this classic cocktail can be made even better.... with beer!
We can't think of a better way to kick off the summer than with a refreshing cocktail, and this one is quickly becoming one of my favorites. Keith and I love a good margarita (especially our Blueberry Basil one). The fresh, crisp flavors of a "marg" on the rocks, lightly sweetened and served up in a salted-rim glass are enough to make my mouth water. We only recently discovered the magic that happens when you add a bit of beer to this already divine drink.
Commonly known as a "Coronarita", this awe-inspiring cocktail seemed to demand our attention in recent months. Everywhere we went, we saw little beer bottles accessorizing our favorite drink; it became impossible to ignore. So on our recent vacation in Mexico, Keith got adventurous and asked our bartender to make him one. It took a few moments, but finally our new friend smiled with recognition: "you mean an Iceberg?" he said, in his beguiling Spanish accent. We watched in awe as he mixed the familiar ingredients (with lots of ice) in a blender and served it over just the right amount of cerveza. We were hooked at the first sip.
How to make Simple Syrup:
- heat ½ C sugar and ½ C water over medium heat until sugar is dissolved.
- Cool and store until needed.
I don't know if it's a good or a bad thing that we discovered the Iceberg Margarita on the second day of vacation, but it quickly became our drink of choice during our time in Mexico. The beer adds a bit of saltiness and punch; it balances the sweetness of the fresh lime and triple sec.
Thankfully, my devoted superman had lots of opportunity to sample this new drink, furiously determined to re-create it upon our return home. He rimmed our glasses with Trader Joe's Chile Lime Seasoning for that extra kick. Now that summer is here, he has perfected the recipe just in time for our Memorial Day cookout. I have a strong feeling that we will be enjoying these Iceberg Margaritas on our patio all summer long.Print
The perfect summer cocktail for beer drinkers & margarita lovers alike, the Iceberg Margarita combines both flavors for one cool, refreshing sip.
- 6 oz light beer
- 2 oz tequila
- 1 oz triple sec
- 1 ½ oz fresh squeezed lime juice
- ½ oz fresh orange juice
- ½ C ice
- 1 oz simple syrup (recipe below)
- Chili Lime Seasoning (we like this one from Trader Joe's) to rim glass. Salt is optional.
- In a blender combine ice, tequila, fresh lime juice, triple sec, orange juice and simple syrup.
- Blend until slushy
- Rub rim of 10 oz glass with lime wedge to wet.
- Place seasoning or salt onto plate and invert rim of glass onto plate to coat with seasoning.
- Pour 6 oz beer into glass and then slowly pour blended margarita onto top of beer.
- The margarita floats on top of beer to resemble foam of beer.
- Garnish with lime and enjoy.
- Try stopping at one. We dare you 🙂
Simple Syrup recipe:
- ½ C sugar and ½ C water heated over medium heat until sugar is dissolved.
- Cool and store until needed.
How to make simple syrup:
- heat ½ C sugar and ½ C water over medium heat until sugar is dissolved
- cool and store until needed
Keywords: drink, cocktail, lime, beer, Mexico, Mexican, party, margarita, coronarita, summer, tequila, corona