Iceberg Margarita: yes it's true, this classic cocktail can be made even better.... with beer!
We can't think of a better way to kick off the summer than with a refreshing cocktail, and this one is quickly becoming one of my favorites. Keith and I love a good margarita, the more classic the better. The fresh, crisp flavors of a "marg" on the rocks, lightly sweetened and served up in a salted-rim glass are enough to make my mouth water. We only recently discovered the magic that happens when you add a bit of beer to this already divine drink.
Commonly known as a "Coronarita", this awe-inspiring cocktail seemed to demand our attention in recent months. Everywhere we went, we saw little beer bottles accessorizing our favorite drink; it became impossible to ignore. So on our recent vacation in Mexico, Keith got adventurous and asked our bartender to make him one. It took a few moments, but finally our new friend smiled with recognition: "you mean an Iceberg?" he said, in his beguiling Spanish accent. We watched in awe as he mixed the familiar ingredients (with lots of ice) in a blender and served it over just the right amount of cerveza. We were hooked at the first sip.
How to make Simple Syrup:
- heat ½ C sugar and ½ C water over medium heat until sugar is dissolved.
- Cool and store until needed.
I don't know if it's a good or a bad thing that we discovered the Iceberg Margarita on the second day of vacation, but it quickly became our drink of choice during our time in Mexico. The beer adds a bit of saltiness and punch; it balances the sweetness of the fresh lime and triple sec.
Thankfully, my devoted superman had lots of opportunity to sample this new drink, furiously determined to re-create it upon our return home. Now that summer is here, he has perfected the recipe just in time for our Memorial Day cookout. I have a strong feeling that we will be enjoying these Iceberg Margaritas on our patio all summer long.
Checkout some of our other favorite cocktails: Pink Señorita, Spiked Mango Iced Tea, Pink Pom Pom Margaritas
The perfect cocktail for beer drinkers & margartia lovers alike, this unique, refreshing drink combines the flavors of both for a guaranteed party favorite.
- 6 oz light beer
- 2 oz tequila
- 1 oz triple sec
- 1 ½ oz fresh squeezed lime juice
- ½ oz fresh orange juice
- ½ C ice
- 1 oz simple syrup (recipe below)
- Chili lime seasoning to rim glass (salt is optional)
- In a blender combine ice, tequila, fresh lime juice, triple sec, orange juice and simple syrup.
- Blend until slushy
- Rub rim of 10 oz glass with lime wedge to wet.
- Place seasoning or salt onto plate and invert rim of glass onto plate to coat with seasoning.
- Pour 6 oz beer into glass and then slowly pour blended margarita onto top of beer.
- The margarita floats on top of beer to resemble foam of beer.
- Garnish with lime and enjoy.
- Try stopping at one. We dare you 🙂
Simple Syrup recipe:
- ½ C sugar and ½ C water heated over medium heat until sugar is dissolved.
- Cool and store until needed.
Keywords: drink, cocktail, lime, beer, Mexico, Mexican, party, margarita