We are in full-on brussel sprout mode here at superman cooks. These green little vegetables may be trendy, but they have always been cool to us. I am always asking Keith to come up with new ways to prepare brussel sprouts, and he never disappoints. Some notable examples include Brussel Sprout Haluski and Maple Roasted Brussel Sprouts with Pomegranate. So when he suggested a gratin, I was all ears.
This year our Thanksgiving table will feature not one, but two brussel sprout side dishes. Keith's Brussel Sprout Gratin will be one of them. You can never go wrong by adding cheese, and this dish is certainly proof of that. Keith combined delicious Gruyère and Parmesan with crunchy panko to create a truly special side dish that is decadent enough for a holiday celebration.
This may not be the healthiest way to eat your brussel sprouts, but it is an indulgence that is worth every bite. What is Thanksgiving without a little bit of indulgence?
A decadent vegetable superfood side dish that has the favors of nutty Gruyère cheese and the saltiness of the Parmesan. This will make even the finicky vegetable eater happy
- 1 pound Brussel sprouts ( fresh )
- 1 C Gruyère cheese grated
- ½ Parmesan cheese grated
- 1 C panko bread crumbs
- 8 Tbsp butter
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper flake
- 1 C heavy cream
- ¼ C flour
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 TBSP olive oil
- Slice Brussel spouts into ¼ inch slices
- In a large sauté pan add the olive oil and 1 clove of garlic left whole.
- Sauté for 10 minutes over medium-high heat until sprouts are browned and slightly tender.
- Add 4 tablespoon butter and allow butter to melt.
- Add flour and mix until all dissolved
- Add heavy cream and mix
- Add Gruyère cheese and stir until cheese melts and cream thickens, about 5-7 minutes over medium heat. Then toss in red pepper flakes
- Transfer to oven safe baking dish.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- In a small bowl microwave remaining butter until melted.
- In a separate medium mixing bowl combine bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese.
- Mix in melted butter and stir till all coated.
- Sprinkle this mixture over sprouts.
- Bake in oven for 20 minutes or until bread crumb topping is golden brown.
- Remove from oven and allow to sit for 5 minutes
- Salt and pepper to taste.