Sometimes you just need something sweet. During these days of quarantine, that “sometimes” is just a little more often than normal. I find myself grazing a lot, craving a sweet bite as a pick me up or bookend to a good meal. This can mean a nibble of our Sour Cream Lemon Cake, a spoonful of our Toasted Almond Fudge Ice Cream, or something sweet and savory like our Watermelon Salad. That also means we’ve been experimenting a bit more lately with more dessert recipes, a noted departure from our usual savory offerings.
These Strawberry Chewy Butter Bars were inspired by our trip to the farmers’ market recently, where we purchased a quart of local strawberries at the peak of their sweetness. While I enjoyed snacking on them alone, I began craving a special extra-decadent strawberry dessert. Keith was up to the challenge of course. Strawberry Shortcake is a very popular dessert at our house during the summertime, because it's easy and light. He wanted to find a way to make our favorite dessert a bit more decadent.
How to Naturally Sweeten Strawberries:
- combine 4 C fresh sliced strawberries with 2 tablespoon honey and 1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
- Enjoy alone or over these butter bars, shortcake, or yogurt.
My superman never disappoints. Keith created these chewy-gooey butter bars and topped them with our local strawberries. Think of it as a step up from strawberry shortcake. You only need a few bites to satisfy your sweet tooth. It’s the stuff dreams are made of. They are so good you’ll be sneaking in the fridge at all hours of the day for just one rich & delicious bite!Print
Ooey Gooey Strawberry Chewy Butter Bars will satisfy your sweet tooth.. and then some! This rich & indulgent dessert is one you have to try!
- 2 C AP flour (divided)
- ½ C whole wheat flour
- 1 ¼ C sugar (divided)
- ½ C cold butter
- ⅔ C softened butter
- ½ C light corn syrup
- 1 egg
- ½ tsp almond extract
- ¼ tsp vanilla extract
- ⅔ C half & half
- 4 C sliced fresh strawberries
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 1 tsp fresh grated ginger
- 10 mint leaves
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line a 13" x 9" baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, combine the 1 C AP flour, ½ C whole wheat flour and ¼ C sugar and then cut in the cold butter using a pastry cutter or two knives (the mixture will be a crumb consistency).
- Pour into paper lined pan and press into bottom to make crust. Set aside
- In a large bowl, beat softened butter using a hand mixer. Gradually mix in the 1 C sugar and corn syrup.
- Add egg and both extracts and mix until combined.
- Alternately add 1 C flour and the half & half just until combined.
- Pour over crust and spread evenly using rubber spatula.
- Place in oven and bake about 30 minutes or until center is set.
- Allow to cool to room temperature and then remove paper and bars from pan and cut into squares.
- In a separate bowl combine berries, ginger and honey along with 3-4 mint leaves chopped finely.
- Spoon berry mixture over bars and enjoy.
Keywords: strawberry, strawberries, dessert, sweet, butter, bar, kid-friendly