The groundhog saw his shadow recently, which indicated that we were in for another six more weeks of winter. As much as I want to discount this bizarre tradition, the weather of late is doing nothing to prove him wrong. Snow continued to fall upon us this weekend, and I spent a fair amount of time wrapped in blankets as I tried to accomplish some things at home.The only positive I can draw from the continuation of cold weather is that it gives Keith a good reason to make large pots of soup. Without a doubt, soups are one of my favorite things that Keith makes, and this Tortellini e Fagioli Soup is a perfect example of why. This tomato-based soup, filled with lots of good-for you veggies, Cannellini beans, and delicious tortellinis tastes even better the next day than it does when it is freshly served. The combination of flavors has a way of warming you from the inside out and leaves your belly very satisfied.
Eating this Tortellini e Fagioli Soup for lunch each day of a long weekend makes these winter days just a bit more bearable. It is a comforting treat that I can look forward to each day. It also helps me to refrain from cursing out that pesky rodent in Pennsylvania, who insists that spring is several weeks away.
Looking for a hearty vegetarian soup that is satisfying and simple? Tortellini e Fagioli Soup is a comforting bowl of goodness on a cold day.
- 1 C diced carrot
- 1 C diced celery
- 1 C diced onion
- 1 C small broccoli florets
- 1 C spinach
- 1 C canned cannellini beans (drained)
- 1 lb cheese tortellini
- 1 tbsp chicken base (use vegetarian chicken base to make vegetarian)
- 2 cloves garlic (chopped)
- 32 oz crushed tomatoes
- 2 roma tomatoes, diced
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 10-12 basil leaves
- ¼ C oil
- Heat oil in a large stock pot and add carrots, celery, onions and chicken base.
- Cook over medium heat for 10 minutes until vegetables are fork tender
- Add chopped garlic, italian seasoning, and crushed tomatoes. Cook for 15 minutes over medium heat.
- Add 1 C of water and tortellini and cook for 15 minutes over low heat, stirring occasionally. Add more water if necessary.
- Add remaining beans, spinach, fresh tomatoes and broccoli and cook an additional 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add fresh chopped basil.
Keywords: soup, tortellini, tomato, bean, fagioli, Italian, comfort food, vegetable, vegetarian, stew