Dive into a warm bowl of Tortellini Soup, the perfect blend of comfort and flavor. Tortellini in a savory tomato broth is cozy and satisfying, like a warm, cheesy hug for your soul.
This easy and delicious Tortellini Soup recipe is filled with lots of good-for you veggies, Cannellini beans, and cheese tortellini. This rich combination of Italian flavors that has a way of warming you from the inside out.
If you like Creamy Tomato Soup or a plate of Ravioli covered in Fresh Tomato Sauce, this soup is for you. Each bite is filled with Cheese, rich tomato goodness. It's great for weeknight dinner or easy lunch on a cold day. Be sure to make plenty, as this soup tastes even better the next day.
- CARROTS: fresh carrots, diced
- CELERY: fresh celery stalks, diced
- ONION: white onion or yellow onion, diced
- BROCCOLI: fresh broccoli, cut into small florets
- SPINACH: fresh spinach leaves (you can also use kale)
- CANNELLINI BEANS (WHITE BEANS): canned cannellini beans
- CHEESE TORTELLINI: fresh cheese tortellini or dried tortellini
- VEGETARIAN CHICKEN BASE: 1 tablespoon (for non-vegetarian, use regular chicken base)
- GARLIC: fresh garlic cloves, chopped
- CRUSHED TOMATOES: we use canned crushed tomatoes
- ROMA TOMATOES: whole tomatoes, diced (you can use vine ripened or any kind of fresh tomato)
- ITALIAN SEASONING: dried Italian seasoning
- BASIL LEAVES: fresh basil leaves
- OLIVE OIL: use the best quality extra virgin olive oil you can afford
*see recipe card for quantities.
- Make the roux: Heat oil in a large stock pot, and add carrots, celery, onions and vegetarian chicken base. Cook over medium heat for 10 minutes (until vegetables are fork tender).
- Make the tomato broth: Add chopped garlic, Italian seasoning, and crushed tomatoes. Cook for 15 minutes over medium heat.
- Add the tortellini: Add 1 cup of water and tortellini and cook for 15 minutes over low heat, stirring occasionally. Add more water if necessary.
- Add veggies: Add remaining beans, spinach, fresh tomatoes and broccoli and cook an additional 10 minutes.
- Garnish and serve: Remove from heat. Garnish with fresh chopped basil and grated parmesan cheese.
Cheese Tortellini Soup tastes even better the next day when the flavors have had time to marinate and combine. So be sure to make a big pot!
What to Serve with Tortellini Soup
The great thing about this Vegetarian Tortellini Soup is that it is completely satisfying on its own. However, we do like to serve it with some of these options for a well-rounded meal.
More soups to try
- ONE POT LASAGNA SOUP
- CREAMY TOMATO SOUP
- BROCCOLI MASHED POTATO SOUP
- CREAMY MUSHROOM SOUP
- TUSCAN PEASANT SOUP
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Freeze in an airtight container (only if using heavy cream) for up to 3 months.
Reheat in the microwave or in a sauce pan over low heat.
We prefer Chicken Base or (Vegetarian Chicken Base) to create a flavorful tomato broth. You can also use vegetable base.
Yes! We recommend San Marzano tomatoes or Fire Roasted Crushed tomatoes for optimum flavor.
🍅 Making this recipe?
- Please feel free to reach out with questions. We're happy to help.
- If you enjoyed it, please leave us a comment with ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
- 1 C diced carrot
- 1 C diced celery
- 1 C diced onion
- 1 C small broccoli florets
- 1 C spinach
- 1 C canned cannellini beans (drained)
- 1 lb cheese tortellini
- 1 tbsp vegetarian chicken base (use regular chicken base for non-vegetarian)
- 2 cloves garlic (chopped)
- 32 oz crushed tomatoes
- 2 roma tomatoes, diced
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 10-12 basil leaves
- ¼ C oil
- Heat oil in a large stock pot. Add carrots, celery, onions and vegetarian chicken base.
- Cook over medium heat for 10 minutes (until vegetables are fork tender).
- Add chopped garlic, Italian seasoning, and crushed tomatoes. Cook for 15 minutes over medium heat.
- Add 1 C of water and tortellini and cook for 15 minutes over low heat, stirring occasionally. Add more water if necessary.
- Add remaining beans, spinach, fresh tomatoes and broccoli and cook an additional 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add fresh chopped basil.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 50 mins
- Category: Soup
- Cuisine: Italian-American
- Serving Size: 8 oz bowl
- Calories: 355
- Sugar: 8.8 g
- Sodium: 505.8 mg
- Fat: 6.9 g
- Carbohydrates: 59.2 g
- Protein: 16.6 g
- Cholesterol: 31.8 mg
Keywords: soup, tortellini, tomato, bean, fagioli, Italian, comfort food, vegetable, vegetarian, stew