I am going through a beet phase lately. Love for beets is not something that I was born with. It is a taste cultivated over time and often punctuated by balsamic vinegar and goat cheese. Lately, I just can’t get enough of these beautiful purple vegetables. I like fresh-pressed beet juice in the morning, beet salad, roasted beets, pickled beets… you name it. It all tastes good to me. So you can imagine my excitement when Keith and I stumbled upon these amazing golden beets at the farmers market during one of our Saturday morning walks.
Fall has definitely made its presence known here. The colors of the market have changed from bright greens and reds to beautiful autumnal hues. The golden beets called out to me, so we picked out a stunning bunch (along with some traditional purple ones) and headed home. I told Keith I had been craving a good beet salad, and immediately his mind went to work. He came up with the genius idea of roasting fennel with the beets to accentuate their flavor. He then tossed them all in balsamic vinegar before adding shelled pistachios and some feta cheese.
This beet salad is quickly becoming my new favorite. The combination of roasted fennel and beets is so delicious and different. And just a little feta and the crunch of pistachio makes this healthy salad feel decadent. It is truly a farmer’s market feast, courtesy of my superman. I cannot get enough of it.
A farmer’s market fresh beet salad, combining the colors of fall
- 8 ounces fresh red beets
- 8 ounces fresh golden beets
- 1/2 C feta cheese
- 1 head of fennel
- 1/2 C shelled pistachios
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 C olive oil
- 1/2 C balsamic vinegar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Peel and cut beets into 1/2 inch pieces and wrap each color beets separately in foil and coat with 1/4 c olive oil.
- Cut fennel in half and drizzle with olive oil.
- Place both foil packets and fennel on baking sheet and place in oven.
- Roast for 30-40 minutes until beets are tender.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for 15 minutes.
- Place beets in mixing bowl and top with garlic powder.
- Slice fennel into 1/4 in strips and add to beets.
- Add balsamic vinegar and salt and pepper and toss vegetables.
- Place on serving plates and top with feta cheese and pistachios.
- Serve and enjoy