Spectacular Chocolate Bark is a holiday treat, ideal for giving or devouring on your own.
This decadent holiday chocolate bark has everything but the kitchen sink, and that is why we call it spectacular. This is the one time of year that Keith and I are fighting for kitchen space. He is cooking as always, and I find myself trying to muscle in on his territory. It may be genetic, but I am intent on crafting holiday confections the way my mother does, my aunties do, and all the generations that came before us did.
I remember my mom and my grandfather making fudge around Christmas time. They bestowed upon me the love of chocolate and nuts, sweet and salty. You can’t have chocolate without the crunch. Chopping pecans was an always an essential step in the holiday baking routine, and these days my dad gets to do the honors (that means my mom has to buy extra nuts because she knows that he eats more than he chops). I suppose I had all of this in mind when Keith and I discussed the ingredients for our Spectacular Chocolate Bark.
For our holiday bark, Keith and I held nothing back. When it comes to food, Keith and I share a strong belief that there are two ways to do things: intentionally simple or over the top. This bark clearly represents the latter, and with good reason. The sweet punch of pomegranate seeds somehow perfectly compliment the crunchy almonds, pretzels, and caramel corn. And it all blends beautifully with rich dark chocolate. It is a party in every bite, and we whole-heartedly believe that it deserves the title of spectacular.
- 3-4 oz. dark chocolate bars
- 1- 4 oz. milk chocolate bar
- ½ cup almonds, roughly chopped
- ½ cup caramel corn
- ¼ cup pomegranate seeds
- 12 pretzel crisps, broken up into small pieces (we like Everything flavor for this recipe)
- 1 Tbsp sea salt
- Place a layer of parchment paper on a baking sheet
- Break dark chocolate bars into pieces and melt in a double boiler (or use a metal bowl over a sauce pan of boiling water)
- Pour half of melted dark chocolate on parchment paper and, using an offset spatula, spread evenly to form ⅛" thick layer
- Sprinkle half of the chopped almonds, pretzels, and pomegranate seeds onto chocolate layer
- Place in the refrigerator until chocolate sets
- After first layer is set, pour remaining dark chocolate on top, and use the spatula to spread an ⅛" second layer on top of the first
- Sprinkle remaining almonds, pretzels, and pomegranate seeds evenly over the chocolate
- Add the caramel corn
- Press toppings down gently onto chocolate so that they are embedded.
- Place in the refrigerator again to set the chocolate
- Break the milk chocolate bar into pieces and melt.
- Using a spoon or a spatula, drizzle milk chocolate over the top of the bark.
- Once chocolate is set, break into rough 3" by 3" squares