Sunshine and margaritas are a match made in heaven, as far as we are concerned. When the weather begins to turn, we get a hankering for a good tequila cocktail. And no one makes a better margarita than Keith. People rave about his famous Iceberg Margaritas (made with beer), but his Pink Pom Poms are also my personal favorite. This year, since we have had a bit more time on our hands, Keith has been experimenting a lot more. He created this Blueberry Basil Margarita recipe that is so delicious we had to share it.
I can taste summer in every sip of this cocktail, made with muddled blueberries, tangerines, basil and lime. It is fruity but not too sweet, and it reminds me of a seaside sunset. We used Patron Silver to make this pretty cocktail. It is so smooth and totally refreshing. The best part about this drink is that you can customize it to your liking without losing any of the flavor. Don’t have tangerines? Use oranges. Substitute agave, stevia or honey if you want less sugar. A mix of citrus makes it better! And if you are a good planner, making a pitcher ahead of time will taste even better if the flavors fruit have had time to “marinate” in the fridge.
substitute tangerines with oranges or store bought orange juice
substitute simple syrup with agave, stevia or honey
Although we may not be able to entertain the way we want to or travel to that tropical island paradise, we still have a lot to celebrate. The days are longer, the sun is shining, and there is an air of optimism in our community. For the next few months, you’ll find us spending more time on our back deck. We'll be sipping Blueberry Margaritas (most likely with some fish tacos or chicken tacos), and counting our blessings.Print
Light, crisp and perfectly sweet, a Blueberry Margarita is paradise in a glass. This tequila cocktail is made for summer entertaining.
- Using a mortar and pestle, muddle the blueberries and basil leaves until a fine consistency.
- Strain mixture through a fine sieve if desired (we left ours as is)
- Put mixture into a small pitcher and add lime juice, tangerine juice and simple syrup (see recipe in notes) along with tequila and Grand Mariner and mix.
- Prepare 4 glasses with a salted rim by rimming the edge of the glass with a lime wedge and dip rim in kosher salt (optional).
- Fill glasses with ice and pour cocktail to ½" from top. Top off with sparkling soda.
- to make simple syrup: combine ¼ cup sugar with ½ cup boiling water. Stir. Allow to cool before mixing into cocktail.
- we prefer this cocktail with the muddled berries and fruit pulp. If you like a "pulp free" drink, remember to pour it through a sieve before serving.
Keywords: blueberry, cocktail, basil, tangerine, summer, margarita, Patron Silver, Gran Mariner,