We like to think of our Deconstructed Egg Rolls as Asian-inspired nachos. Keith’s creation definitely has a bit of an “east meets west” vibe. At first glance, they seem to be your typical bar fare: crispy triangles loaded up with layers of color and flavor. But one bite and you realize that there is nothing traditional about these babies at all. Keith used store-bought wonton wrappers as a base for this deliciously unique appetizer. The wontons give these deconstructed egg rolls a delightful crunch. He cut them into triangles and loaded them with a beautiful mix of sautéed vegetables. It’s like a mini stir fry in one bite. Unlike our other favorite nacho recipes, these appetizers are light, healthy, and vegetarian. I can’t get enough of them. Keith made these for me when we were watching football one afternoon. They totally satisfied my craving for junk food and left me with zero guilt. That’s a win-win. I love the Asian flavors he used for the vegetable sauté. The hint of soy and smoothness of sesame oil give these bite-sized “egg rolls” a complex flavor that I fell in love with. We will be enjoying them during March Madness this season, and we look forward to sharing them with friends at spring gatherings. It can’t come soon enough!
A bite-sized vegetarian appetizer with Asian flair and zero guilt
- 3 cups shredded cabbage
- 1/2 c slivered red or green pepper
- 1/2 cup grated carrots
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp garlic, chopped
- 1/4 c olive oil
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 tsp sugar
- 4 6″ wonton wrappers
- 1 bunch cilantro
- Heat large saucepan over burner until warm.
- Place wonton wrappers in one at a time and heat till browned slightly about 2 minutes
- Turn over and brown until crispy (about 2 minutes)
- Set aside
- In same sauce pan add oil and garlic and cook for 1 minute
- Add shredded cabbage, carrots, peppers,and mix and toss over medium heat for 5 minutes
- Add soy sauce, sugar, and sesame oil and mix in and cook for 3-4 minutes
- Add chopped cilantro (about 2 tbsp) and remove from heat
- Cut wontons diagonally and place on serving platter.
- Top with cabbage mixture and sprinkle with a garnish of cilantro