I have yet to meet a potato I don’t like. As most of our followers know, potatoes are a staple in our house. Boiled, mashed, fried, creamed, and even raw, I am positively addicted to this “apple of the earth”. Jackie loves potatoes as well, but nowhere near as much as I do. She cringes when she catches me salting a raw potato and plopping it in my mouth. I just can’t help myself; I could eat them at every meal.This garlic smashed potato recipe was inspired by the incredible Jonathan Waxman. Jackie and I went to his newest restaurant, Jams, recently where we inhaled his signature smashed potatoes along with delicious Jams Chicken. Simple, local ingredients have never tasted so good. Days later, I could not get those potatoes out of my mind; I had to create my own version.
Using delicate fingerling potatoes, olive oil, and freshly grated parmesan cheese, I went to work. This recipe is rather simple, as it does not require you to peel the potatoes. Rather, the process of boiling them and then sautéing them creates a crispy outside with a succulent inside. I accented mine with some fresh rosemary. Perfection.
- 2 lb fingerling potatoes
- 1 clove garlic
- ½ C olive oil
- 4 tbsp butter
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- 4 ounces fresh parmesan cheese
- Place potatoes in stock pot and cover with water and cook over high heat until a knife inserted slips off easily.
- Drain and allow to cool for at least an hour or in refrigerator overnight.
- Place potatoes on sheet pan and "smash" using a firm surface such as a meet tenderizer or bottom of drinking glass.
- In a large saute pan melt butter and oil over medium heat until butter is melted.
- place potatoes in pan and cook until crispy. About 10 minutes, turning over as needed.
- As potatoes are cooking use garlic clove and rub over each potato.
- Remove from pan and place on baking sheet and immediately grate parmesan on top of potatoes.
- Chop rosemary and sprinkle over potatoes.
- Salt and Pepper to taste.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Category: Side dish
- Cuisine: American