A Sweet Potato Tart is a nutty and complex side dish that brightens the holiday table.
As the holidays near, we are all busy shopping and preparing our homes for the season. If you are like us, you are consumed with planning and decorating the house with Christmas lights. We are also preparing the shopping lists for gifts as well as for the holiday table, and all of this has to be done while still working our daily jobs. We all know that this time of the year is ever so busy, however it is also a great time to celebrate with friends and family.
At superman cooks, we like to think we can help our readers by providing flavorful, yet simple recipes that can be prepared without a lot of fuss or planning. As you plan your holiday get togethers, whether it be a work function, reuniting with old friends, or just a simple family dinner this Sweet Potato Tart will work perfectly. It can be prepared with a minimal amount of ingredients and it will make your table look elegant. The sweet potatoes have a unique sweetness, and a pinch of cinnamon makes this tart unforgettable. This Sweet Potato Tart resembles a savory dessert as it cooks in the oven. The crunchiness of the pecans and the crispy sage add the perfect texture that blends well with creamy potato center and nuttiness of the Asiago cheese. This can be made in a standard pie pan if you do have the false bottom tart pan we used. We prefer the tart plan because it brings the dish to the next level. Either way we are sure that your family and guests will be asking for the recipe. Enjoy the holidays and remember that family and friends are what make the holidays special.
- 1 10 inch prepared pie crust
- 2 sweet potatoes
- 4 tbsp butter melted
- ¾ C heavy cream (may have to adjust amount)
- 1 egg
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ C brown sugar
- ½ C shredded asiago cheese
- ¼ C chopped pecans
- 4-5 sage leaves
- Place pie crust into pie pan or tart shell.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Using a mandolin, slice sweet potatoes 1/16" thin and layer in bottom of pie shell in a single layer.
- Sprinkle half of the cheese over the potatoes
- Place another layer of potatoes on top in single layer and continue untill you reach the top of the shell.
- In a mixing bowl, combine heavy cream, egg, brown sugar and cinnamon and blend until well mixed.
- Pour mixture over potatoes and allow to settle for about 5 minutes (fill back in with more mixture until it reaches the top of the shell).
- Top with remaining cheese and bake for 30-40 minutes until the top starts to brown.
- Top with chopped pecans and chopped sage and bake until golden brown (about 10 more minutes)
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes before serving.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 45 mins
- Category: Side Dish
- Cuisine: American