Summer may be over, but my cravings for gelato have just begun. Jackie is not traditionally an ice cream addict like I am. But when I made this frozen confection, she was all in. I am not sure why, but this salted peanut butter gelato seems to taste better as a winter comfort snack than it does in the heat of summer. The flavor of salted peanut butter reminds me of autumn and of my favorite Halloween candies that I sneak bites of this time of year.This recipe is super easy to make, but does take an overnight freeze before you can indulge. So please make it at the first sign of a craving. As I experimented with this peanut butter gelato recipe, I found that I could not keep away from it as the freezing process took place. In its soft freeze state, it became a peanut butter dip for an Oreo. When it hardened a little more, I spread it on a shortbread cookie. It just tasted so good that I could not leave it alone.
I finally gave up and went to bed. In the morning, I jumped up to check on my creation. It was so good that I had to indulge in a small (ok medium) bowl as an appetizer to my “Jackie breakfast”: a tri-berry smoothie and an English muffin. What can I say? Peanut butter gelato tastes good all year round (and at any time of the day for that matter). We strongly recommend it as a topping for holiday pumpkin or apple pie. This creamy dreamy treat with the perfect blend of salt and sweet will make an addict of anyone.
- 2 cups whole milk
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1 Cup sugar (minus 3 Tablespoons)
- 1 C powdered milk solids (found in the baking aisle)
- ½ C creamy peanut butter
- ½ C chopped peanuts
- 1 tsp Kosher salt
- In a large metal mixing bowl, combine milk, cream, and sugar. Blend with emulsion blender until sugar is dissolved, about 4-5 minutes.
- Add the powdered milk and peanut butter and continue to mix for 5-6 minutes until frothy and slightly thickened.
- Transfer to the freezer and allow to freeze for 2 hours.
- Remove and blend again for 5 minutes.
- Continue this step three more times.
- After mixing it 4 times, cover with plastic wrap by pressing plastic wrap down onto surface of ice cream.
- Place in freezer and freeze overnight.
- Remove from freezer and add chopped peanuts and salt and mix in with heavy wooden spoon.
- Place in airtight container and freeze until ready to enjoy.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 12 hours
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: American