The ultimate party favorite, creamy, addictive Buffalo Chicken Dip packs all the flavors of our favorite Game Day Wings in every scoop!
If you're a fan of Buffalo flavor, this dip is for you. The creamy, dreamy goodness of cheddar, blue cheese, and cream cheese with a kick of hot sauce makes this one of our most requested recipes at parties, tailgates, and picnics. I have been eating this for years, trying different versions of my own until I perfected the recipe. Believe me, it is guaranteed to please.
I have even gone as far as spreading it on a chicken sandwich or even straight on a bun for a sandwich all by itself.
- CREAM CHEESE: cream cheese, softened. Regular cream cheese or low fat cream cheese (Neufchâtel cheese) works.
- CHICKEN: any cooked chicken, shredded and chopped (we use canned chicken breast or leftover Roasted Chicken. You can also use rotisserie chicken).
- CELERY: celery stalks, finely diced
- RANCH DRESSING: bottled ranch dressing
- HOT PEPPER SAUCE (BUFFALO SAUCE): hot sauce (we like Frank's Red Hot Sauce or Texas Pete Hot Sauce).
- CHEDDAR CHEESE: shredded cheddar cheese
- BLUE CHEESE: blue cheese crumbles
*see recipe card for quantities
- Heat Chicken: In a sauté pan, add chicken. Add the hot sauce, ranch dressing and celery. cook over medium heat for about 5 minutes.
- Add cheeses: Add the cream cheese, cheddar cheese and blue cheese. Turn heat down to low. Continue to cook until the cheeses have melted and all ingredients are combined.
- Garnish: Remove from heat. Sprinkle with more cheddar cheese and blue cheese crumbles.
- Serve: Serve with tortilla chips, crackers (we like Wheat Thins), carrot sticks, celery sticks, or veggies.
- Keep warm: Buffalo Chicken Dip can be placed in a crock pot to keep warm.
Canned chicken or fresh chicken?
We love canned chicken for this recipe because it is fast and easy. You can also use rotisserie chicken or leftover roasted chicken (all parts of the chicken work for this recipe: breasts, thighs, wings). If you are using fresh chicken, make sure it is cooled until you can pull it apart with fingers. Chop chicken into small pieces.
- SPICY: add more hot sauce or add a spicier sauce (habanero sauce) of extra kick.
- VEGETARIAN: omit the chicken. You can serve dip without it or use soft tofu.
- BLUE CHEESE: substitute Blue Cheese Dressing for Ranch Dressing and add more blue cheese crumbles.
- SMOKY: add a dash of smoked paprika and substitute smoked gouda cheese for some of the cheddar cheese.
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Warm in the microwave or in a sauté pan over low heat.
Do not freeze.
Yes! We like canned chicken breast for this recipe. Just be sure to drain the liquid before using.
We swear by shredded cheddar cheese and blue cheese for this recipe, but some people like a mix of cheddar cheese and Monterey Jack cheese.
We know, it sounds like a lot. But the cream cheese cools the heat. You can add a bit at at time to adjust the taste, but this combination is what we use all the time for parties.
Just omit it completely. This dip tastes great without it.
🍅 Making this recipe?
- Please feel free to reach out with questions. We're happy to help.
- If you enjoyed it, please leave us a comment with ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
- 1 8 oz. package of cream cheese
- 8 oz. chicken cooked, shredded and chopped
- ½ C celery, finely diced
- ½ C ranch dressing
- 5 oz. red hot pepper sauce (adjust according to taste) I use Frank's Red Hot
- 1 C shredded cheddar cheese
- ½ C blue cheese crumbles
- In a sauté pan add chicken (canned chicken breast works well also, just drain liquid if using). If using a fresh chicken breast cook until done and let cool until you can pull it apart with fingers. Once done chop chicken into small pieces.
- Add the hot sauce, ranch dressing and celery and cook over medium heat for about 5 minutes.
- Add the cream cheese, cheddar cheese and blue cheese and turn heat down to low.
- Continue to cook until the cheeses have melted and all ingredients are combined.
- Remove from heat. Add cheddar cheese and blue cheese
- Serve with tortilla chips or wheat thin crackers.
- This can be placed in a crock pot to keep warm.
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Category: American
- Cuisine: Appetizer