For better or worse, pizza could be considered a food group at our house. We never tire of eating it, and Keith has come up with countless ingenious ways of preparing it. From traditional Heirloom Tomato Flatbread to our more creative (and geographically specific) Pierogi Pizza, the flavor combination of pizza never disappoints. So when Keith approached me one day with the idea of making Pizza Stuffed Mushrooms, I was all in.These bite-sized appetizers pack all of the zesty, cheesy flavor of a traditional pizzeria in one melt-in-your-mouth bite. They make for a delicious and easy to make party appetizer, or for us, a pizza dinner with a little less guilt. Now we all know that Keith can make a mean stuffed mushroom. Bur for this version, he turned it up a notch by using Cremini mushrooms for their stability and bite. He then added tomato sauce, pepperoni (of course), green pepper and two kinds of cheese.As mushroom devotees and pizza aficionados, we simply love these healthy little bites. But we aren't the only ones. These Pizza Stuffed Mushrooms were an instant hit among our favorite party guests, football fans, and kids alike. For pizza lovers like us, this twist on a classic appetizer is yet another great way to satiate our never-ending cravings.
A great tasting appetizer packed with all the flavors of your favorite pizza.
- 12 large Cremini Mushrooms
- ½ C tomato sauce
- ½ C diced green pepper
- 1 C diced Pepperoni
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 shallot, diced
- ¼ C grated parmesan cheese
- ½ C panko bread crumbs
- 1 C shredded mozzarella cheese
- ¼ C chopped chives
- ¼ C olive oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Clean mushrooms. Remove stems and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add mushroom caps and 1 clove of chopped garlic and toss to coat mushroom caps. Place on baking sheet and bake for 8 minutes.
- While mushrooms are in oven prepare filling:
- Finely dice mushroom stems and place in mixing bowl.
- Add tomato sauce, diced green peppers, diced pepperoni, diced shallots, parmesan cheese and mozzarella cheese and mix thoroughly.
- Remove mushroom caps from oven and allow to cool for a few minutes.
- Take mixture and roll into meatball sized balls and place in mushroom caps.Continue until all mixture has been used and all caps stuffed.
- Place back in oven for 10-12 minutes until desired doneness.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle with salt, pepper and chopped chives.